Wednesday, January 24, 2018

NBCC MARKS ANNIVERSARY

Greetings, friends and friends of the New Britain Chess Club:
 
I am elated to inform you that this Friday, January 26, will mark the anniversary of the most important day in the history of the NBCC.
 
It was 117 years ago, on Saturday, January 26, 1901, when thirty-three people, led by John Kirkham, met in downtown New Britain to lay the foundations for the official birth of what would eventually become one of the largest, historic, and finest chess organizations in Connecticut.
 
The NBCC has been blessed to be where it is today because of our loyal supporters and devoted leaders. Many chess clubs come and go, but the NBCC has continued to exist because of this.
 
It has been a joy of a lifetime to be responsible for preserving, publishing, and promoting the heritage of our rich, diverse, and ever-growing chess community. I take pride in what I do and hope to continue to carry out my duties as NBCC historian for as long as possible. Whenever I visit my non-chess family and friends, I always talk very highly about our club and its people and how they have truly enriched my life.
 
I welcome you to visit the website that tells the story of US - the New Britain Chess Club - "The Heart of Connecticut Chess" - that I wrote a few years ago (and will update in the coming decades - yes, decades!)
 
 
Thank you for being a part of this wonderful, thriving community. Thank you for your friendship.
 
With warmest regards,
 
Bob Cyr
NBCC Historian