Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Pandemic Update - Coventry Chess

Hi, Rob:
 
Hope you are well!
 
I am updating the CSCA website. I had the following questions:
 
(1) Does the Coventry Chess Center hold any club activities, like a weekly chess club?
 
(2) Are your tournaments back? Will you be organizing those? Any flyers for posting?
 
(3) Looks like the Connecticut Chess Magazine is back. When did you start up again? 
 
(4) How would you feel about an interview feature article about you for the CSCA website?
 
Thank you.
 
Alex
 
Dear Alex, thanks for your email.
 
My health is improving.  I've been on insulin for many years now.  Finally seeing my AIC coming down from 8.9 to 7.4
 
Finally, I went to an orthopedist for my right hip.  Turns out my pain is from bursitis and tendonitis.  I am in a physical therapy program twice a week for 3 months, with daily homework exercises.  Already I have some relief from the pain.
 
1) Coventry Chess Center not offering any meetings at this time.
2) No tournaments yet after the pandemic.  I am happy to see kids 5-11 will now get vaccinated.
3) CCM won't be published on a periodical basis.  I will publish special editions when the material is good, and I have the time.
4) An article about me will go a long way to counteract the damage from the lies distributed by GB.  Only a handful of players are still around who remember all of my chess work from 1976 thru 2000 in Connecticut.  Over 1,200 newspaper columns, a few dozen magazines, and 12 years elected CSCA president. and tournament programs at 20 different cities and towns across the state.
 
Gens Una Sumus,
 
Rob Roy
 
P.S. My laptop died, and Gert Hilhorst generously donated a personal computer.  That's a big step forward for chess in Coventry, as I can no longer afford to spend more and more money on chess.  Thank you again Gert.
 
I also got all the back issues of the state chess newsletter from the 50's, 60's, and 70's, thanks to Fred Townsend.
 
I also got the scrapbooks of G.E.Avery's newspaper column from the 40's and 50's.
 
 CC:   Bob Cyr, Gert Hilhorst, Rick Bauer, Fred Townsend, Nelson Castaneda, Mark Bourque, David Herscovici, Doug Fiske, Dan Starbuck Pelletier, Michael Smith, Lisa Smith, Al Lasser, Larry Lafosse, Joe Bihlmeyer.