Thursday, July 21, 2022

GAME OF THE WEEK by Alan Lasser

   This opening is the specialty of a longtime reader who is known in his chess club as “the Milford Morphy”, so I guess that counts as the last time I saw the Latvian Gambit used by a player with any kind of a title.  Then last week an IM tried it against a fourteen year old.  White managed to avoid the crazier lines, allowing Black to equalize, so it was another good day for the Gambit.  Back at the 1955 US Junior Championships, twelve year old Bobby Fischer lost to the Latvian Gambit of Victor Pupols.
 
Liran Zhou(2393)-IM Michael Song(2409)
New York Summer A
7/9/22
1.e4 e5 
 
½-½

Robert James Fischer-Victor Pupols
US Junior Championships
6/11/55
 
4.d4 d6 
0-1
 
Alan Lasser
Hi Alan,
I'm glad to see you're still pushing wood and that you've forgiven me for hitting on your apple cider when we lived together at 33 Summer Hill Apartments in Middletown CT and I worked with the mental patients from '74 to '78 and finally realized that I didn't know which side of the keys I belonged on and my ADHD was even worse than it is now. I guess I stood up a good buddy there (and I don't mean Buddy Guy or Buddy Rich, or Bud Wiser I guess I didn't treat Mark Denihan right. Well, I'm trying to do better and lately, I've been inspired to do better by Playing for Change and especially by my main man, Buddy Guy performing on PFC. (Skin Deep)
He'll be performing live in Paso Robles on September 25, 2022, down the road a piece from SB (130 miles away from here)
God willin' and the creek don't rise I'll be there too.
Tony (Anthony Allen) Miller AKA Tony no Baloney
Namaste, Alan
ps. Is Mark Weeks living in the States now?
Is Alan Morril still alive and kicking? I see Timbersnake is still alive.
Is Bob Milardo still pissing off CT chess folks?
Fred Townsend?